With the growing interest in green products, sustainability, and recycling comes upcycling. Upcycling gives wasted or useless materials a new, improved life. I’ve taken a look at jewelry in particular and here are a few upcycled examples.
I was most intrigued by the work I found where the original material wasn’t easy to see. In the gallery that follows, see if you can find these items- a bicycle chain, knitting needles, balloons, dinnerware, license plate, bike tube, plastic jugs, antique nail, guitar string, spoon, skate board, power buttons for an XBOX, aluminum cans, vinyl record, auto parts and vintage pen nibs.
1. polarity (auto parts) 2. bearweardesigns (license plate) 3. jillmccp (aluminum cans)
4. CufflinkHub (power buttons for XBOX) 5. blueskyaboveco (vinyl record)
6. KathrynRiechert (spoon) 7. Tanith (guitar string) 8. DownSideUpStudio (plastic jugs)
9. bluskyaboveco (bike tube) 10. WanderingJeweler (bike chain) 11. MuKee (skate board)
12. NormalIsBoring (balloons) 13. TheBrokenPlate (dinnerware) 14. steampunkfunk (antique nail)
15. savagesalvage (pen nibs) 16. sewnewthings (knitting needles)
The website inhabitat is a great source that features ideas in green design and sustainability in fashion, architecture, interiors and many other areas of interest. Check them out, along with all of these fine jewelers who are doing their part in the thoughtful reuse of materials.